Friday 11 April 2014

J... is for Journalling

One of the best ways to study a theoretical subject is by journalling. The art of taking down personal notes date-wise and cross-referencing them by topic is very valuable. Doing a Masters is not only about studying large volumes of text, it is also about knowing how to study. I usually write things out a lot. I find it easier to remember things when they are written down. I also find it easy to memorise passages, names of critics etc, when I have written them down once or twice.
I tend to number pages of my notes and make tables of contents. I don't use highlighters or sticky-notes though. When we were growing up, they didn't really exist and I never learnt how to use them to optimise my work. And I find them distracting. So I stick to good old pens of different colours, pencils, the likes.
Do you miss studying in the old fashioned way?
*****************************************************
This is the tenth post for the April A-to-Z Blogging Challenge 2014.
Previously, Archaism, British literature, Critical Analysis, Drama, Edinburgh, Faust, Gothic Fiction, Humour, Interpretation

3 comments:

Colin Smith said...

I take handwritten notes on my reading when I study. I don't write in textbooks, or use coloured pens and sticky notes--but I never did even when I was younger. But I definitely agree that writing helps to reinforce what you're trying to learn. Even better when you try to re-phrase what you're reading. That helps you make sure you understand it, and perhaps identifies areas where you disagree, or have questions.

Stephanie Faris said...

I miss all the old-fashioned stuff. Post-it notes on a PC desktop aren't the same as the real-life ones! I do like being paperless, but there's just something about pen and paper that makes everything real somehow.

Tony Laplume said...

The last time I was studying something, I made copious notes. Definitely helped keep things straight!