Wednesday 2 April 2014

B... is for British Literature

Right at the onset, I would like to say that I'm quite overwhelmed by the lovely comments I got on my post yesterday. It is a beautiful feeling to read them. I'm having a busy day today (my cousin is coming and I'll see him after two years!) but I'll read more blogs tomorrow.
So, like I said, my first year modules for school are all about British literature. And while I've never been one to think of a person's nationality while I read his/her works, I was quite surprised. I have read many of the poets, playwrights, and novelists on my course without thinking that they were British, but they were! So many of them! While it is natural that this should all be happening in the country that gave the world the language itself, but it is still wonderful that they can read, write, and enjoy in their mother tongue.
I've always expressed myself best in English. A rigorous secondary school education coupled with an inherent love for the language ensured that English became my first language. So I would never know what it is like to enjoy studying in a language that is fairly alien, but friends tell me that it is a chore. Anyway, point being that I'm glad the British gave us this wealth of Literature and that I finally got around to studying it. Another happy coincidence is that the course creators have included Sylvia Plath, who was married to an Englishman. I do like her works.
In case, you're wondering, for second year, we were given optional modules to choose from Indian, Canadian, Australian, and American Literature. I chose American (Hemingway, Twain, Fitzgerald, Capote sigh) and Australian (because I have NO idea what it contains!).
*****************************************************
This is the second post for the April A-to-Z Blogging Challenge 2014.
Previously, Archaism

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right! So much of the literature we've already read is British. I'm actually really excited about your MA! It sounds awesome.

Tony Laplume said...

I took a class in Canadian literature. It ended up being full of pleasant surprises. Hopefully your Australian class will be like that!

Anne Mackle said...

Good you're enjoying the course,sounds like a lot of work ahead.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I specified in Brit Lit in college. Definitely my favorite subject. Excellent post.

Udita Banerjee said...

@S.L: How exciting! Growing to be mine too.
@Anne: It is a lot of work, but yeah, very enjoyable
@Tony: What kind of authors did you have to read?
@Su: Thanks man... hopefully I'll be able to see it to completion.

Tony Laplume said...

There was some poetry, which was fun (the professor was a huge fan of Leonard Cohen). The best books were Not Wanted On the Voyage by Timothy Findley and The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler.

Christine Rains said...

I took a few courses on American literature. I have no idea what Australian would contain either! Thanks for stopping by the Untethered Realms blog. :)

Udita Banerjee said...

@Tony: I do like Cohen, he writes beautifully :)
@Christine: Hmmm, we'll have to wait and see what Australia holds!