Monday 29 April 2013

Y... is for Young, James

Well, I didn't have anything that began with Y; but I knew I wanted to do a post about Science in Scotland. Aside from the Literature side that we've talked about and Scotland's footprint in philosophy (read: David Hume), this tiny little country  has a massive contribution to science, especially in innovations! James Young, from Glasgow, was a Scottish chemist best known for his method of distilling paraffin from coal. His Wikipedia page will tell you more, for anyone interested in Chemistry, he was pretty fab!
But wait, you must must take a look at this page, for this blows my mind every single time I look at it. And I look at it at least once a month, to remind me of the greatness of this country!
I mean, Dunlop, Telford, Watt, Bell, Logie Baird, Napier, Maxwell, Higgs, Black, Fleming... absolute insanity to what we use everyday and don't realise was born in good ol' Caledonia :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is part of the ongoing A-to-Z Challenge. Previously, AyeBerwickCramondDisabilityEdinburghForth BridgeGlasgowHamishIsle of SkyeJohn o' GroatsKirkLoch Lomond and LussMogwaiNecropolisOld Man of StorrPortobelloQueen of ScotsRobert BurnsStirlingTantallon CastleUrquhart CastleVenisonWriters' Museum, Saltire.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Wow! That is a lot of stuff coming out of Scotland. I have ejoyed my adventure with you

Anne Mackle said...

I didn't know any of this.Scotland needs to have you as it's ambassidor.

Udita Banerjee said...

Anne: Well if someone had a job with that role, I'd be head-over-heels :)