Friday 5 April 2013

E... is for Edinburgh!

When I got here, I came via London. I had a nightmarish time at Heathrow, didn't have to get out of the airport, and flew on to here. I had no internet, no phone connection. I had a piece of paper with an address on what was going to be my flat. I took a cab.
It was sunny and windy. It was unreal. It was poetry in motion. It was so gorgeous, like nothing I'd seen before. I started Uni, started living my foreign life, got along brilliantly with my lovely foreign flatmates, and stopped converting currency in my head!
I  love this city to bits, love its people, its cobbled streets, its slow moving traffic, architecture, feel. I love the terrible weather, the occasional gorgeous sunshine. If I had my way, I would definitely never leave, or realistically, not leave for a very very long time. Some photos, all from Facebook...

Skyline

Hogmanay 2012 - 13

Old College, Uni of Edinburgh

McEwan Hall, this is where I'll graduate

From Wikipedia "Edinburgh is the world's first UNESCO City of Literature and the city's Old Town and New Town are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world and regularly polls as one of the best places to live, having won more than 12 UK Best City Awards in 8 years to 2013. Attracting over one million overseas visitors a year, Edinburgh is the second most popular tourist destination in the UK and was voted European Destination of the Year at the World Travel Awards 2012."
I've written some more about my experiences here and here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is part of the ongoing A-to-Z Challenge. Previously, AyeBerwickCramond, Disability.

11 comments:

Paula said...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing! I am enjoying your blog

Anonymous said...

Found your blog via the Failed Experiments blog :)

Edinburgh is one of my fave cities. I'm moving in the fall for post grad, and I always love hearing first-hand accounts from people who live or have lived there :)

Udita Banerjee said...

Thanks, Paula.
Layla: You'll love it, I promise!

Tony Laplume said...

Every time I move somewhere new it's always an adventure to explore. But all of them pale in comparison to this.

Udita Banerjee said...

Tony: Same here. I've moved around a lot in India, where food, languages, cultures have been different on every move. But this place just blows my mind, everyday!

Unknown said...

Second A-Z'er that had Edinburgh today. Sounds like its a must see place. Thanks for sharing!
Elliot
We Are Adventure

Udita Banerjee said...

Who else? Tell me quick!

Anne Mackle said...

I've been working my way back from X.So you live in Edinburgh? I love it there it has such a holiday atmosphere, not been there for quite a while.
Is Anyone There

Udita Banerjee said...

Anne: Well, for me it isn't holiday at all! There is so much work to be done for Uni that I'm too busy all the time! But I love Edin... she's oretty!

Sharon said...

Yes I will get there one day!

My Scott family lived in Leith South.

All the Scottish posts I have seen during this challenge have certainly inspired me more!

Udita Banerjee said...

Sharon: I have hardly seen any Scottish posts, an you point me towards some?