Friday 13 April 2012

L

L is for 'Long John Silver' & 'Lisbeth'.

I LOVE Silver. He's dashing, smart, charming, prudent, and handsome. He's the pirate in Treasure Island and probably the first dark guy I fell for... sigh. His relationship with the teenage boy protagonist Jim, is very interesting. At first, we do not know that Silver is leading a mutiny. For all we can tell, he's the regular good-spirited sailor with a parrot named after his ex-captain. He regales the whole lot with tales of his parrot's buccaneer background. Slowly, his dark side, his cunning is revealed. There are so many layers to the character of this man. Gorgeous.

Silver with his parrot called Captain Flint

Lisbeth is the very famous 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. She is socially inept, has had an abusive childhood, and is a misanthrope. Yet, she's talented, courageous, has a photographic memory, and is very inspiring. Rooney Mara did a briiliant job of her image in the movie. She SHOULD have won the Oscar. I love intelligent women and I am attracted to dark creatures; no wonder I'm so fascinated by her. This trilogy is one bestseller that really deserves selling.


Rooney Mara as Lisbeth



I'm writing every day of April for the A-to-Z April Blogging Challenge 2012. I'm writing of characters of fiction, that are immortal and touch hundreds of lives everyday...

10 comments:

Parmanu said...

What a fascinating collection! Makes me want to reread some of the classics you've highlighted so far.

Thank you, and looking forward to more.

Udita Banerjee said...

@Parmanu: Hey, thanks! The whole point was to inspire and be inspired... I love your writing as well :)

Huntress said...

Oh, now you've done it. Now I've GOT to find my copy of Treasure Island :)

Great Post!!

Tony Laplume said...

It's a little surprising that Hollywood hasn't done another update of Treasure Island yet.

And I completely agree about Rooney Mara and the Oscars. Criminal. Lisbeth seeks revenge!

S. L. Hennessy said...

I love anything related to Pirates. This post was awesome. I tried to watch the Girl with...movie and read the book, but I'm a bit of a wuss and couldn't make it through some of the more graphic scenes. Sadly.

Inger said...

I called Lisbeth The Girl Who Made the Pages Turn in those books when I reviewed them on my blog. I haven't seen the American version yet, but I'm looking forward to getting the DVD. I'm Swedish, so I like to see some of the old country as well in the movies.

Jessica L. Celaya said...

Your blog is beautiful. I haven't read either of those books, but I would probably like them. I like characters that have many levels of personality that the just feel real. Both of these characters seem like that.

Udita Banerjee said...

@Huntress: Go, do it!
@Tony: What was the last version of the movie?
@S.L: I agree, I had a sick feeling at the back of my throat when I read those scenes.
@Inger: You can read the books and watch the movie in original! I've always felt that some of the effects get lost in translation...
@Jessica: Thanks dear... you must make some time to read 'em

Mimi said...

I guess I had better read "Treasure Island" I was very young when I tried to read it the first time...


nice post.


Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

Tony Laplume said...

I think the last time Hollywood did one it was Treasure Planet. So not exactly a straight version. And the one before that was with the Muppets.