Wednesday 11 April 2012

J

J is for 'Jean-Baptiste Grenouille'.
This guy is the main character in 'Perfume'. If you've read the book or the Alan Rickman movie (I hear it's very good too), you already have shivers down your spine. Jean has a heightened sense of smell... he can discern the many different notes or undertones of smells. Of everybody and everything around him! This condition is a classic case of synaesthesia, where one form of sensory stimulus (here, sight or taste) is perceived as another smell).
Understandably, this socially inept and weird boy gets picked up for his gift by a perfumer. It was a good choice because Jean makes him very successful because he whips up new scents without any regard for process or protocol. But, like all twisted characters, he eventually embarks on a quest to make the best perfume of all... the book is replete with his dark ways of doing it. Eventually, he is caught for the multiple ruthless murders of young girls; the climax of the book when he is about to be hanged is brilliant. I relate to him because I relate a lot to the smells of things and people... not a good thing to relate to a psychopath!

Not connected, just my favourite poison... oops! I meant perfume.

6 comments:

Amanda Trought said...

I saw the film before reading the book. The book was so much better, and very dark. I definitely relate to scent and can be transported back to a childhood memorie, as one of our senses its definitely under used. Blessings Amanda

Amanda - Realityarts-Creativity
Art Blog

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I haven't read this book, but it sure sounds like something I'd enjoy. I find anything about synesthesia to be absolutely fascinating.

S. L. Hennessy said...

The Alan Rickman movie was pretty awesome. That is one creepy dude.

JoJo said...

Never heard of either the book or the film but I'm intrigued! I love Alan Rickman!!

Arlee Bird said...

Have not seen the film or read the book. Sounds interesting.


Lee
A Few Words
An A to Z Co-host blog

Udita Banerjee said...

@Amanda: I'll get to watching it soon.
@Susan, JoJo, Arlee: You must!
@S.L: Gives me the crawlies everytime...